Some of the greatest prayers ever. I hope I'm not violating any copyrights.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Prayers

Welcome to my newest blog, which I am dedicating to prayers. I've got another blog, Crazy About Truth, where I attempt to challenge myself (and hopefully you) to really examine what it is you do as a Catholic, why you act the way you do, and why you think the way you do as a Catholic. If Catholics are the chosen people of God, why don't most Catholics act like they care?

This is one more blog along these lines. In case anything happens to all of my prayer books, or if there is any specific prayer that a person finds that is a tremendous help, this blog is meant to share it with the world. Why hide your lamp under a bushel basket?

Many people believe that prayers are enchantments, or charms, and still more believe that when the ritual is done right, then God performs His magic. This is most assuredly not the case! I am not promising that when you say these prayers, God will do anything you want Him to do, far from it! Prayer is communication with God: it can be in the form of adoration and praise, or supplication for grace and virtue. The key thought here is communication: in prayer, you speak to God. He may not speak back to you directly, but He hears you and He understands you, even if you don't know how to ask.

Who is able to walk up to a king on earth, perform a little ritual and then get anything they want? No, instead, they entreat the king, "Please, your majesty, long may you reign! Grant me my request!" How much more so the King of Heaven, Who knows what we need and even what we want long before we ever ask?

He asks us to ask, seek, and knock, and in so doing, we must approach prayer with the virtues of Faith, Hope, and Charity. Then we have a chance of true communication with God. However, whether we hear the voice of God or one of His messengers, or simply recognize His workings in our lives, we must continue to pray. When we stop talking to God, we will lose His friendship, which is the greatest friendship you can ever hope to attain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers